Tuesday, December 26, 2017

TMO: The Balm Matte Schmaker

So we finally got a good look at the new palette in the Meet Matt(e) line from The Balm...the Matt(e) Shmaker palette. First, the only good thing I will say about the palette is that I love the name. It also reminds me of Cardi B for some reason. Now, onto our regularly scheduled roasting.

This is what the palette looks like:


And I definitely will not be buying it.

So, the normally large pans of the Meet Matt(e) palettes are pared down into pairs of one matte and one shimmer. They are paired according to complementary colors, but was that even necessary?

Their last shimmer palette, The Balm Appetit palette, tanked due to formula issues. And the shimmers on this palette are quite ordinary. I have a feeling that purple is going to be terribly patchy.

I think The Balm is banking on novelty here, and not a lot else. I think it's cute that they are telling the consumer that they can get at least six looks out of this, which is nifty, but I would not wear the blue and purple pair that way.

I predict it will be $42 and then $22, and then eventually $14-16, like all their palettes. [edit] They actually are going for about 30. But you can bet they still we be heavily discounted in the future.

To me, this palette without the shimmers looks a heckuva lot like their most reputable Matt(e):


Without the mattes, the shimmers look like any basic shimmer palette that has come out this year.

Also, while we are on a roll, let's do a bonus TMO of the White Peach palette, from Too Faced


First of all, you can buy the Sweet Peach palette, on sale, right now. Here is an image I got from @Trendmood1:


Oy. So the complete first two rows look practially monochrome. I am getting White Chocolate flashbacks all over again. I also see an expanded Matt(e) Trimony palette...quite interesting. To me, this palette was super unnecessary. 

And the sad thing is, Too Faced does marketing excellently. Today I stopped by Ulta, and there was a display for all of Too Faced Gold products, and guess what? It was cleared out. They know how to make eye-catching things that people want to buy as gifts because they look like gifts. So unfortunately, though a lot of bloggers have expressed frustration with the brand, I believe that they are steadily going where they want to be. 

But I am not going to buy this palette. I have enough transition and base shades, thanks. I don't need an entire palette full of them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig