Saturday, December 30, 2017

"Duping" the Nabla Dreamy Palette (updated)

So, this was in my cart yesterday. I decided not to buy, and now it is sold out. But I am not heartbroken, because I suspect I already have these shades. Let's investigate.

As I said before, this is very similar to the Coloured Raine Queen of Hearts Palette, but honestly more along the lines of my personal style. Still, can I dupe it with shades already in my collection?

Probably not exactly, but I am sure I can find shadows that tell a similar color story and ultimately give the same effect on the eye.

This article has been gaining some traction on the web, so I wanted to make sure it was updated with a more comprehensive review. Looking back, I missed some colors, and the swatches Nabla provides are heavy, so the true character of the color is not apparent. I've decided to update the post a bit more. I want to maintain that depending on your own collection, your experience may be a bit different than mine when it comes to shopping your stash and finding potential dupes. Still, I hope this will be helpful! Let's go. 

I will keep Nabla's own promotional imagery here, but like I said before, it's not really helpful.

I  based my thought process on the swatches I found from the Swedish beauty blogger Viola Holmgren, who has an in-depth review and really amazing pictures of the palette, which you can find here.

Additionally, the swatches below don't go in order of the palette! How frustrating is that. In this article, and in my break-down, I am going in order of the palette.


1. Immaculate. A white metallic with a slight gold shift. This is a shade increasing in popularity due to the trend of duochrome eyeshadows. In my own collection, Crown from the Queen of Hearts Palette suits my needs (it does have a pink-toned shift), but Elven Gold from Coastal Scents does the same exact thing, it is just a bit more gold ! And for $1-2, depending on whether or not you got it during the sale. I am so mad I gave it away years ago, I did not know what I was doing! (Now and Zen from Colourpop is also a dupe!)

2. Illusion. A warm, mid-toned brown that is slightly rosy. I am going to revise my original statement and say I feel this is more akin to Cone from the Dose of Colors EyesCream palette. For a slightly warmer version, the brown matte in Milani palettes, such as Earthly Elements would work. Overall, this is a very cool toned palette, but there are definite options for warmer looks. 

3. Vanitas. Like Immaculate, more brands are coming out with shades like this. A pink shimmer with gold reflect. This is Satin Sheets by Too Faced, only a little darker. From my own collection, this is Rose Chrome from L'Oreal Infallible Paints Metals. 

4. Delirium. Up to now, I have had an easy time of duping this palette, but shades like this make it difficult. I don't wear these tones any way, but the closest thing I have is a purple from the Queen of Hearts palette. I originally had the purple from the Marc Jacobs Palette, The Tease., but it does not have that same brown-based quality,. Queen Mother, on the other hand, is warmer, so it works better.  

5. Byzantine. A warm-toned Gold Shimmer. If you have the Eyes on Metallics palette from Milani, or any gold pigment, really you are in luck. I myself have Your Majesty from the QoH palette, as well as Amber from ABH (which is more muted and one of my favorite shadows of all time),  as well as Gilded Wings from Fyrinnae. Any gold shimmer will do. 

6. Sistina. This is a very rosy-toned matte, which for me is Princess from the Queen of Hearts palette. Additionally, I see a slightly browner version of this as the seventh shade in the Carli Bybel palette. 

7. Metal Cupid. A reddish-burgundy shimmer. Three of these appear in the BH Cosmetics Foil Eyes #1 palette, and I got that for $8.00. I also see a red sort of like that in the Milani Eyes on Metallics palette. 

8. Inception. Another purple shimmer. Sheesh. And this one is lighter, but still brown-toned. I have something similar from the BH Cosmetics Foil Eyes Palette. It is a brownish purple shimmer. Should do the trick.

9. Senorita A bright red-toned fuschia. Ladyship from QoH works here, as well as Love Letter from the Modern Renaissance Palette. 

10. Rose Gold. This was hard because I find this color to be very similar to Metal Cupid on the eye.   In this case, I have selected a HG single eyeshadow- Amber Rush. It is so lovely. 

11. Lullaby. A dusty light purple-toned matte. Buon Fresco from ABH! Carli Bybel also has a pinker-toned dupe in the delux palette. I also have "There's No Such Thing as Magic" from Shiro Cosmetics. Also, Blueberry Swirl from the EyesCream palette give a nice muted purple tone to the eye. 

12. Dogma. Any chocolate brown matte. 

this is what I came up with...
from l-r: Crown, Cone, Rose Chrome, Queen Mother, Gold (from the Milani Metals palette), the seventh shade from Carli Bybel Palette, BH Cosmetics Foil, BH Cosmetics Foil, Love Letter, Amber Rush, Buon Fresco, and Cypress Umber)




What have I learned?

Well, maybe not learned. More like, what concepts were reinforced? Having a variety of palettes and singles means that I can be creative and dupe things like this. Of course, the particular qualities of those two purple shades made it difficult, but would I buy the palette just for those two shades? Of course not. With my own preferences in mind, I hardly use colors like those- though they are pretty, without a doubt. But I wouldn't waste the money, not when I can dupe the majority of the palette.

In a way, I think that is what makes this palette and others so appealing- they push the comfort zone, but not really. They fill the palette with familiar shades that people are used to, but then convince you the palette is unique with one or two "diamonds" that stand out. The contrast of the purple and gold is not an accident.

Still, I am happy with my own assortment, and I hope that I've inspired you to look within your stash too. Just know that the  "differences" we perceive between two colors may be totally moot by the time it actually goes on your eye- those two metallic coppery shades, as well as the two rosy light brown/pink are way too similar for my liking. 

Thanks for reading! Let me know if you've found a dupe to any of these shades- especially those purples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig