Saturday, December 30, 2017

I Skipped my January Ipsy and will Probably Unsubscribe

Hi all!

Today I would make a post on why I skipped next month's Ipsy, and why I will probably just unsubscribe.

I've been subscribed on and off to Ipsy for about four years. Out of all the beauty boxes I know of (more on that later), it seemed to have the best value, $10 a month, no shipping fees (for the U.S., there might be international fees). Their customer service is also A+.

But over time, I think I've realized that I've just grown out of it, and it is no longer for me.

Let me break it down with a list!

1. Samples. Now, I do like little samples of things, sure. But ipsy will include samples that are laughably small- November's Too Faced Setting spray comes to mind. And there is nothing Ipsy can do about it. If they want to continue this partnership with the brand, they have to accept whatever "scraps" the brand throws their way. And we, in turn, are forced to accept that.

2. Profile. I feel like Ipsy's profile/review system is similar to the button on crossing posts in NY- they are just there to make you feel like you have more control than you really do. But you don't. There were months when I was getting eyeliner in succession, or loose eyeshadow, or mascara. And maybe eventually it evened out, but look at all that waste. No thank you. There was even a time I emailed customer service, and I was very politely told I could not opt-out of red lip products, specifically. Over time, I was no longer being sent that, but still.

3. Points. The Ipsy point system is something I complained about before. It used to be quite reasonable, but now you have to save up a ridiculous amount of points in order to redeem
something. And because it is constantly refreshed, you are under pressure to spend the points (or actual cash, in regards to ipsy offers- which I don't hate as much, their ipsy favorite sets are
👌) as soon as you see something of potential value.

4. Brands. Ipsy has afforded me great insight into the industry, including the fact that brands exist to be overpriced, and then drastically discounted. These are filler brands, and I hate them. These include Manna Kadar, Trestique, Pur-lisse, etc. And they outnumber the reliable ones. Ipsy has definitely gotten better for me about this, definitely, but it is something that nags me, especially after getting that Tini Beauty highlighting acrylic paint stick in November.

5. Products. Ipsy's system makes you want products you never would have wanted otherwise, because they are offering you a limited pool, and you think you are choosing or hoping for the best choice. But there are things beyond the Ipsy bubble. They will manufacture a situation where you end up really wanting a highlighter from a no-name brand because that is the best "choice." But, did you really want that? If you never knew it existed, would  you even care?

At this point in my life, if I really wanted a product, I'll just buy it. That's all. Or try to dupe it in my collection. How many beauty box items have been tossed or given away, as a casualty in makeup declutters? It happens all the time. Because in that person's eye, they have no value. They are dispensable. In every highlighter declutter video I've seen, that Vintage one by Jessica Liebskind is decluttered with ease.

6. Value. I'll be quick with this one- if you will use none of the products, regardless of its retail value, it is of no value to you. Period. Hence, it is a waste of money.

6. Alternatives. I did some research last night on comparable beauty subscriptions, with nothing greater than $20, which discounts Boxycharm, but I don't care about Boxycharm.

 One promising alternative is Ricky's Cult Crushes, which is $11, and is a collection of fun, kitschy products. I wouldn't subscribe for January, though, because even though that tangerine nail polish is calling to me, I also don't want the choker temporary tattoo. But maybe I'll subscribe for February! Overall, it's really cute, it's within my budget, and because it is shipping from NY, it will get to me pretty quickly.

Another alternative I am considering is the Allure Beauty Box. It is $15 a month, but the first box is $10. I really like the caliber of products they include, but one promotional image does show Doucce eyeshadow, which again, I do not trust.

The January 2018 box is tempting, especially with the skin care products, which include Sunday Riley. But, I have to look at the box holistically, and not according to a couple of products. I know I am not going to use the MUFE matte lipstick (which I am pretty sure is just a matte liquid lipstick), and the Rodial eyeliner. Again, I don't want or need any more pencil eyeliners, and the Rodial one specifically irritates my eyes.

Lastly, I was also considering Mishibox, a K-Beauty subscription box. It is pricier than the above choices, but I like the amount of skin care I would be trying. But again, if I really wanted something, could't I just buy it myself?

I don't know. I am kind of in limbo. We'll see what February offers. All I know for January, I am taking a much-needed break.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig