Saturday, December 9, 2017

Not a Review: Thoughts on the New Wet 'n Wild Palettes (Not a Basic Peach and Rosé in the Air)

Yesterday I placed an order with Wet 'n Wild for the new palette, Not a Basic Peach. This is what it looks like:
Out of all the new palette offerings, this one was not based on a previous design (other than the MR dupe), and it was the most inspiring to me. Could I probably dupe this in my collection? Probably. But I appreciate the palette as it is and would definitely get a lot of use out of it. I really like the almost duo-chrome nature of some of the shimmer shades.

Overall, I am really super impressed with Wet 'n Wild. As someone who owns (and is actively panning) the Modern Renaissance, I did not need to purchase Rosé in the Air, but I did notice something interesting about that palette.

Many beauty bloggers are discussing what the Rosé in the Air palette imitated, but I want to discuss what shades from the Modern Renaissance palette WnW left out. This is the Rosé in the Air palette:
It contains 10 shades, while the MR contains 14. The four shades that Wet 'n Wild left out?
1. Golden Ochre
2. Vermeer
3. Raw Sienna
4. Venetian Red

As someone who does not think that the Modern Renaissance palette is perfect, I do agree that out of the 4 shades to omit, these were probably the smartest choices, if WnW was aiming to mimic (and not revise) the original color scheme of the Modern Renaissance palette. Partially because of the price point and manufacturing requirements, to condense the MR into 10 pans means one had to think with an economical and efficient mind, and I agree that WNW mostly got it right. We'll go into my thoughts on each of the omitted shades:

1. Golden Ochre was supposed to add a glow when you blend it into the crease before the mid-toned crease colors. Trouble is, it does not show up really well on the skin, and is not golden enough for me, and I am pretty light. So how is that supposed to work even for people with darker skin tones? Maybe as something other than a crease color? Even though I did hit pan on it, after I while I just got very underwhelmed with how this color turned out.

2. Vermeer: I kind of wish WnW went with Vermeer instead of Primavera, because Vermeer performs better in the MR palette. If WnW has a better formula, though, I can stand by it. Vermeer is a cooler-toned champagne shimmer, and I think the light golden shimmer of Primavera works with a greater range of colors in the palette.

3. Raw Sienna. It makes sense to omit this one- it and Burnt Orange were the SAME. Or very nearly.

4. Finally, Venetian Red was like the cross between Love Letter and Red Ochre. It makes sense therefore to get ride of it.

Over all, even though I don't need to buy the MR palette dupe, I think WnW was very smart and conscious of the consumer when they made this. I was happy to buy Not a Basic Peach and look forward to reviewing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig