Sunday, December 31, 2017

High-End Disappointments

I don't have much experience with the higher/luxury end of the spectrum. But I have had some, and honestly? I was disappointed. When it comes to certain things like blush, bronzer, etc., unless the item is reputable and precious and I don't really have anything else, why not? But for me, the drugstore and affordable brands offer enough options.

There was a time, however, when I really did buy up samples or discounted higher end, thinking it would somehow make a difference in my life. Short story- it didn't. I thought I would break down the products that I did try, and why they were not worth it.

1. Kevyn Aucoin Powder Highlighter in Candlelight. I had a sample of this- a good gram of product, and I genuinely was confused. Like, there was a sheen to it, especially when swatched, but on the face this was a total let down. I don't get it. I am not even obsessed with blinding highlights, but I like shimmer and sheen and this was not it. Sorry. Also this was one of the very first items I ever decluttered.

2. Kevyn Aucoin, liquid illuminator in Candleight. When I first got a sample of this, I was obsessed and I saved up the packet for as long as I could. But the more I got into makeup, the more I realized there was other stuff out there. And I did get two more samples of the liquid illuminator, and still I felt it was not amazing. The full size product is $50. Why would I pay fifty dollars to make my skin look like it's healthy, when I could pay $50 for proper skin care that actually helps it be healthy?

3. Kevyn Aucoin Loose Powder Eyeshadow in Candlelight. I know, I know. Last one, I promise. I still own this, but will probably declutter. 1.) This loose eyeshadow is in a roller-ball, and to apply it to the eye is difficult, because if you bend your arm at an angle, no product will dispense. Additionally, when it does, powder flies every where. 2.) THIS IS 29 DOLLARS and 3.) You don't even get a glam look with it. It is very subtle, and a "wash" of sheen on the eye. Which has its time and place, but not for me, no. Oh, and 4.) NO ONE talks about this. Because they are overpriced as hell. Actually, the "Raeviewer" has a review- the only one on this- and it just does not give a helpful breakdown of the product. Unrealistic swatches and everything. I was so mad about this one- but luckily I did not have to pay the full price.

4. Nars Eyeshadow Duo, Indian Summer. First, the name of it is a little weird and feels exploitative. Two, this is a mustard brown matte and and silver shimmer. The silver shimmer I kept for yes, that wash of color look, but the matte would muddy something terrible in my crease. I think it's because the formula was very soft and wet, and my eyes do get rather warm and oily, so it was not a good mix. I depotted the two of them, and gave the mustard shadow the boot. The bottom line is, no, they are not the best shadows ever. I can get a lot better for a lot less. My third lesson and takeaway is this: I bought it because it was on discount and high-end. It sickens me to say that, because it is just a senseless and rather desperate thing to do. And I regret that. Even the full price ones that I actually like, like Isolde or Scorching Sun, I know I can dupe. So I'm good.

5. Estee Lauder Night Repair Serum. This is a glorified moisturizer, I swear. It moisturized my skin, but that's it. Of course, skin type is highly variable from person to person, so it may work for you. I just wasn't impressed.

6. Lancome Eyeliners. I just don't think I like Lancome as a brand. I know they're expensive, but they just don't feel that way? Quality wise, I mean. It's odd.

In sum, luxury beauty, as well as designer brands, are not necessarily interested in making the best product they can, which blows my mind. I still can't wrap my head around the horrible looking YSL eye palettes Temptalia swatched a couple of years back. I know it looks like I am being especially mean here to Kevyn Aucoin, but I promise I'm not. I was just super interested the brand at the time, in my early stages of this hobby. But now I am not.

And perhaps that represents a major shift in 2018. I predict that, while in 2017 the affordability of drugstore brands decreased (*shakes fist at Nyx*) PERHAPS these luxury brands will either 1.) develop a more aggressive marketing strategy to increase consumers or 2.) increase consumer base by offering smaller, lesser-priced versions of their products.

We'll see what happens.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Yours,
Gossip G- No, wait.
Cosmetically Inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig