Sunday, October 1, 2017

TMO: (2) Holiday Palettes

Today someone on MUA reddit brought up the fact that an Urban Decay holiday palette is missing. I mean, it's only the first day of October, but it did get me thinking. Can we expect another Vice palette? Or Spectrum palette? Who knows, I wouldn't buy those.

Moving on, today's TMO invovles palettes whose promotional images have been released. We'll begin with an image from the blog ReallyRee, who is able to get a hold of these more luxury brand products to review ahead of time:
So this retails for 60 pounds, which translates to about $80.

For me, I wouldn't personally need a TMO, because for $80 I would buy a Viseart palette, if I wanted to spend that amount on eyeshadow anyway. Which I don't.

Charlotte Tilbury is an interesting concept as a brand to me. Similar to Bobbi Brown. She is a makeup artist, and yet I would not call these "Pro" products. I don't think the quality of her products are that noteworthy. What is conveyed to me through branding is that these are the products she would use on her celebrity clientele. And when you buy them, you're on par with her celebrity clientele??

Which, no, I'm not. Bad, Charlotte. Feeding into delusions of grandeur with basic neutral palettes.

And there are talented MUAs out there that simply don't need these products, and can make looks with a variety of price points.

Looking at the palette itself, we've got some metallics and mattes, organized into trios. Right off the bat, I am seeing the Naked 2 and 3, as well as Heat. I am also seeing the Carli Bybel palette.

But even if you don't have those, you've got metallic and matte neutrals, right? And even if that olive-gold shimmer seems to stand out- because it does among all of the same colors- when swatches, it's just an antique gold. No biggie.

Moving on, let's TMO the ABH: Redemption Palette....er...I mean the Prism Palette.

I am not going to go into all this guff about what constitutes a prism...Instead, let's just look at it..LOOK AT IT

So, yes, people were quick to to draw comparisons to the Subculture color scheme. Now, personally, I really like this mix of colors. Most of them. And out the 14 shades, half of them are shimmer, which is quite a lot for an ABH palette.

Still, what is really putting me off is the fact that I know I would not use "Sphere," and I shudder to think how it shows up on the skin.

Furthermore, I just can't help feeling that some of these shades feel like re-promotes. Parallel, or Fudge? Lure ,or  Buon Fresco? For some reason this shade reads really red on the swatches provided, so I'm wondering again if the shadows are interacting with the skin, similar to Subculture.

Eternal and Sphinx are too similar to be useful to be, as are Saturn and Eden. I do think that ABH is trying to push people to play with color and texture, but this is reading too much like a KvD or Urban Decay Holiday palette- too "random" and challenging, if one were to really try to use all of the colors from the palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig