Saturday, March 17, 2018

Thoughts About ABH's Soft Glam Marketing and PR

So I happened to notice something quite interesting today. A lot of beauty youtubers who are reviewing the Soft Glam palette by ABH are also reviewing the Amrezy highlighter in the same video. These bloggers include:

Alissa Ashley
Nicole Renee Cutler
RawBeautyKristi
Jkissa

in addition to other smaller youtubers.

In the beginning of Alissa Ashley's video, she didn't even state she was going to review the highlighter, just the palette. In the middle of the video is when she pulls it out to use. Jkissa states from the beginning she's reviewing both. I don't know what that could mean. None state they got it as PR. Jkissa says that "some" were sent to her for consideration, but she does not specify which. Super helpful. Rawbeautykristi has the same disclaimer in her description.

Why I noticed this in the first place is that it is kind of a weird choice, you know? Think about the Modern Renaissance palette. Pretty much all reviews/videos featuring the palette treat it as singular. The Subculture palette was reviewed singularly. So why are we doubling down now?

I don't think it's because anything is necessarily wrong with the Amrezy highlighter. It is reportedly excellent quality, with gorgeous and distinct packaging. It could be sales are affected because of Amrezy herself, but I don't know much about her. If that's the case, bundling the highlighter and eyeshadow palette in PR might be a good idea?

That being said, I don't know if the two items were actually bundled together in PR. They were released around the same time, so perhaps ABH thought it would be more economical to send them both out together.

But that still is not an explanation as to why youtubers are not making separate videos for each.

Wouldn't that work to their benefit? More content, more views?

In my opinion, I think youtubers are reading the room. I think they don't think people are enthused either about Soft Glam or the highlighter, or both, so it's just easier to kill two birds with one stone. And I don't think they are enthused about the palette either, given it's a very neutral palette, and not necessarily exciting.

I think it's so interesting to figure out what exactly they feel about a product. In this case, the fact that they don't even want to give either product a spotlight is very telling. I was not going to buy them, but the way youtubers are presenting both for review does not encourage me to buy them, either.

What do you think of this? Does my hypothesis hold water?

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig