Tuesday, August 29, 2017

TMO: ALL of the Nyx Element Palettes

In the spirit of the anti-haul, we are continuing down the road of bashing things we don't need to buy.

Let me get this straight, though. I love the IDEA of this series. I love THEMED products, there's a story to them that the user can infer from the product. It's cute.

It's also eyeshadow. And just like ones horoscope, it's important that we don't mold ourselves to objects we think represent us, but rather be able to choose on our accord. Or rather, abstain from depending entirely upon objects to define us at all.

I don't know how that applies to these palettes. I'm feeling quite philosophical.

Any fan of Avatar, the Last Airbender, Pokemon, Captain Planet, or anyone who thinks horoscopes are fun, and who also likes makeup are going to like these palettes.

! Let's start. All images were reprinted in Allure magazine, from Nyx's own snapchat. I've put the link to the Allure article here. You can click on the images to get a closer look.

1. The Water Palette:
So these are quite muted blues. I am quite disappointed in the two shadows in the second row, one is slightly bluer than the one to its right. We also have two robins-egg blues, and two cool-toned browns. I do think the color selection is okay, but matte blues may be patchy. I don't see them done well often. And the repeating colors just seems like a waste. Not being a fan of blue eyeshadow myself, I know I would not get any looks from this. Pass. 

2. The Fire Palette
Yes, Please palette, is that you? Hah. Again, a lot of repetition, and I'm not sure why. Two salmons? Three? Two yellows, one slightly yellow-er than the other? I know that duochrome will call to people, but that literally is the duochrome one can find in the Wet n Wild Comfort Zone palette. It's very popular nowadays. Pass. 

3. The Metal Palette

Just as much as I hate black and white palettes, I hate all-shimmer palettes. It's overwhelming. Also, I don't appreciate that I need to bring another palette in to use it. I'd like a choice, dammit! But still, unless some of these are duochrome, I can't see the appeal. There is so much repetition among shades- coppery red, two light blues, two lavenders- either the palettes should have been smaller, or they could have really amped it up. 

4. The Air Palette

Are you Tea Mair? Lol. But seriously, pastels died with the Lorac Brunch Palette. No way Nyx is gonna get these chalky shades right. And what is up with all the salmon???

5. The Wind Palette

I love that Allure advertises this palette by saying it's a good alternative to the Naked Smokey, when I just denounced it. Officially. Buh-bye. 

Yeah so anyway, this palette. You could use any of those FIVE greys on the eye and I could not tell you which one it is. Noooooo. 

6. The Earth Palette

So, out of all 6, this is the one I am most drawn to. However, I can't deny that the same issues are here. Repeating colors. Not a whole lot of inspiration. And I am still using the Modern Renaissance, which has lovely reds and deep pinks. So, not needed. 

7. The collection as a whole: These remind me of the Sleek palettes, and like Pokemon, are singular enough to invite more than one purchase. Big trouble.

 I don't know what the price of these will be, but scrolling through Nyx's website, I see that palettes range from $10-$20. Seeing as these are on the smaller side, but with non-standard packaging, these might go for $10-$15. 

So, buying up all of them could cost you. I would heavily caution buying up more than one, or one at all, because additionally, I am not sure what the formula will be like. I have only owned had one experience with Nyx eyeshadow, from their mini collab with Ipsy, and they were okay. I ended up decluttering it, though, because I never used it. 

Overall, I am just seeing a lot of repetition. It's almost like Nyx is taunting you to buy more than one, because if you do get one, you're going to get the same looks over and over. 

It's a trap, I tell you! An oddly salmon-toned trap. 

I think part of the problem is dedicating each palette its own element, which can be quite limiting. Let's compare this collection to an old product, the Sephora + Pantone Elemental Energy palette. I found in image from this review, by Beauty Crazed:
Though I never had a chance to see how this palette works, I think the concept- similar to the Nyx collection, is executed much better. Interesting textures and finises- but still, a lot of useless browns. 
For a collection of all the elements, it still reads quite dull. 

The thing is, when you are marketing a product an encompassing a theme, anything really can be shoehorned into a theme. Jerrod Blandino keeps doing that with the Peach Palette- and how all of the colors represent different parts of a peach. Sure! I wouldn't want a whole palette full of peaches. 

But the elements? Colors and pigments are products of the elements, anyway, so anything would fit, wouldn't it? It's all just dirt, anyway, isn't it?

It's a tricky theme, boiled down by color family, essentially, and is quite limiting in terms of shade selection.

I don't need it, and I'm not going to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig