Skip to main content

July Favorites

For this month I don't have any lip, eye, or powder products that really stood out to me. Throughout the month I continued to rotate my collection, and for the most part everything discussed on this blog has been (if stated otherwise) a favorite.

I also don't have any fails, which is kind of a bummer because I love watching and reading about product fails, but nothing really tanked. I could talk about how I suspect I lost more than half of my Sephora play items due to the sheer fact that they are teeny. But that's it.

That being said, this month I heavily relied on the following products:

 1.) Wet n' Wild setting spray. This is my second purchase of this, and I can affirm that I am nearly onto the third. Wet n' Wild, in lieu of all their special and new releases, needs to re-package this. Sell it for 1-2 more dollars (it currently retails for $4-$5), and include more product, in a bigger bottle, and with a proper vaporisateur. I do think this keeps my face from getting oily at the end of the day, even moreso than more expensive setting sprays.

2.) Pond's Rejuveness Anti-Wrinkle Cream. I brought this with me on my trip because I knew I couldn't travel with my Retinoid 2%, in a glass container . I really like this cream. It is heavily fragranced, but I like the scent. It keeps my skin plump and hydrated.

3.) Lavanila The Healthy Deodorant, Sport Luxe (or something). Now, none of this is a replacement for anti-antiperspirant. None of this will keep you from getting sweaty. Only from getting stinky. That being said, I use this on weekend to curb my antiperspirant use. I also use it throughout the day to refresh. It smells like clean laundry.

4.) Earth Therapeutics flat-top blending brush, maybe with charcoal-infused bristles? Earth Therapeutics is such a weird brand to me. They sell in Kohl's and TJ Maxx, and their website looks like its from 1999. Still, it is a really solid blending brush that does not soak up product and blends liquid foundation evenly and quickly.


5.) Amlactic Foot Repair: I have been pretty consistent in my use of this, and my heels are not rocks anymore. Yay.

6.) Victoria's Secret Cologne Spray- Heavenly Stardust (discontinued). I have owned this spray for about 5-6 years. It lasts throughout the days, though eventually becomes just a sweet vanilla scent. However, when you first spray it is a warm, welcoming scent (musk, honeysuckle, and winterberry). One time somebody likened it to "cookies." I enjoy wearing this when I don't want to wear any other perfume, but I do want to smell good.

7.) LaRoche-Posay Effaclar BB Blur. I talked about this earlier in my post about sun care. I did not think I would like this as much as I do. I used to think that having different products for the summer vs. winter was silly, but I now see the logic behind it. This is a really useful summer product. Sometimes I don't even use primer with this, and yet it blurs lines and pores.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unicorns and Makeup (essay) 🦄

I blame tumblr.

I have not used the blogging platform for about two years, for personal reasons. One, I was getting a job and did not want a digital footprint in that sand. Two, though I think tumblr during my college days was invaluable in learning about social justice, privilege, critical thinking, etc., I can't deny the fact that, as with every form of social media, one contributes to a discourse consciously, and is rewarded with reblogs and likes. 
And of course, "the aesthetic."  The opalescent pastel aesthetic of the cool kids that typified much of site.
The past two years it was mermaids. 
And now it's unicorns?
The mermaid trend was reflected in makeup, hair ornaments, makeup, music videos, and dress. I understood the mermaid trend, as mermaids are 1/2 human, and perhaps have a standardized iconography and style one can mimic.
The unicorn thing is sinister.
What is it? Rainbows? Holographics? But unicorns are horses with horns on their heads. A quick google s…

May Favorites and Regrets

This month has been an interesting one for makeup. I made numerous purchases and want to share with you my findings.

The top products for me of the month have been:

1) The Ordinary Serum Foundation.
My skin drinks this foundation up, and I am left with a natural finish. The only drawback I can think of is the fact that it contains no SPF.

2) The Ordinary Retinoid 2 %
You can read my review of this here. This is a stand-out for this month as I have seen instant results.

3) Nyx Eyebrow Shaper. This is a product that I have been using at the end of April throughout all of May, and even though it is a simple thing- a clear wax crayon- it is perfect for me. I don't do anything really with my brows, aside from plucking them once in a while, so this simply allows me to shape my brows while keeping my hair in place. It is one of those things I don't even have to think about using.

4.) Fyrinnae eyeshadows in: Wicked Faeries and Serendipity. I am really glad I bought these two. They are…

Modern Renaissance 2, Subculture: Will I Buy It? (updated)

So, that happened.

I am not sure how permanent the colors are, or what the final product will be, but boy do I have thoughts about this palette.

One of these thoughts is...maybe I don't want to buy it.

To me, this looks like a more mainstream version of Lime Crime's Venus 2 Palette. See below:

Now, are these two identical? No, of course not. But when it comes to the concept of an "inverted palette," the concepts and "color stories" are undeniably similar.
I'm not going to start giving my money to Lime Crime, but it does not make the "cooler nighttime sister" of Modern Renaissance any more disappointing. Especially because the first glimpse of the palette really doesn't live up to those claims- there are a lot of pastels.
Lastly, the two shimmers of the Modern Renaissance were a point of disappointment for me- too similar and not of enough color. Well, the two discernible shimmers here belong to that same champagne color family- again, bori…