Skip to main content

Ipsy August 2017 Review

Many Ipsy reviews tabulate the cost of the bag, which I think is a tricky practice. It is hard to pin down the exact value of something because 1.) markups 2.) subjectivity. If you are not going to use something then it really has no value to you, does it?

Before I go into any more detail, the items I received in my August 2017 bag were:
1.) Crown Medium Contour Brush, $7.00
2.) The Balm Eyeshadow Single Sample, 0.6 g, $2.92 (using the unit price of the Bon Voyage 2 palette)
3.) (2) Secret Key Face Masks, $2.00
4.) Makeup Forever Excessive Lash Sample $7.14
5.) Naked Cosmetics Translucent HD Finishing Powder (full size) $15.00

Total (approximate price) $33.00

Overall, I think this is a really solid bag. I will use all the products. Finding the market value of all these items is a bit harder. If I go price per gram of the original cost of the item, of course it will be a lot higher than if I do price per gram of the discounted price. However, I believe that "discounts" are more true to an objective value of a price, if that makes more sense. So, to make a long story short, any "value" I calculate will be approximate. I've reposted the approximate value of each item in purple next to the item.

Let's get into a breakdown of the products and bag, with pictures:


The bag has an ombre purple pink design, with a gold colored tassel. The front of the bag reads "Good Vibes Only" with Vibes in a gold glitter print. It's a pretty bag, with a message that - like most platitudes- is functionally useless.

I quite like face masks, but I am not sure about the tea tree one. Tea Tree is quite strong, and definitely not as gentle as people think it is.


Notice I have tons of the translucent powder on my thumb, due to the messiness of that product. This is Kuwakaribisha, from the Balm Voyage vol 2 palette. In the palette, this is actually a highlighter, but can also be used as an eyeshadow. Below I have swatched both this- on the left- and the Mary Loumanizer, on the right, for comparison.


Both are very similar, but  Kuwakaribisha has a thicker consistency and definitely feels more like an eyeshadow.  Perhaps  Kuwakaribisha is a tad more yellow-toned. I tried to use it today with the other products from this bag, but I did not have much luck. More on that in a bit.


Naked is one of those brands that is very strange to me. When I first opened the container, half of the sifter had sunk into the container and I had to pry it out. The powder itself has a strange, plastic-smell. It does create a smooth finish on the skin. 

*However, I would apply this after all other products, including blush and highlight. When I tried to apply highlighter OVER this product, thinking I would have a smooth base, I was so so wrong. Nothing would stick to my skin. 


This is a fine mascara. Nice for precision and control. We'll see how it lasts throughout the day.


Finally, the contour brush on the right. I've placed it next to my largest brush, for reference. I used the medium brush to apply the translucent powder and it did a good job. I definitely think Crown makes durable, quality brushes and I will continue to use this brush.

Overall, I am off and on with Ipsy. I resubscribed after unsubscribing from Sephora Play. I just think Ipsy is a lot of fun compared to other services

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unicorns and Makeup (essay) 🦄

I blame tumblr.

I have not used the blogging platform for about two years, for personal reasons. One, I was getting a job and did not want a digital footprint in that sand. Two, though I think tumblr during my college days was invaluable in learning about social justice, privilege, critical thinking, etc., I can't deny the fact that, as with every form of social media, one contributes to a discourse consciously, and is rewarded with reblogs and likes. 
And of course, "the aesthetic."  The opalescent pastel aesthetic of the cool kids that typified much of site.
The past two years it was mermaids. 
And now it's unicorns?
The mermaid trend was reflected in makeup, hair ornaments, makeup, music videos, and dress. I understood the mermaid trend, as mermaids are 1/2 human, and perhaps have a standardized iconography and style one can mimic.
The unicorn thing is sinister.
What is it? Rainbows? Holographics? But unicorns are horses with horns on their heads. A quick google s…

May Favorites and Regrets

This month has been an interesting one for makeup. I made numerous purchases and want to share with you my findings.

The top products for me of the month have been:

1) The Ordinary Serum Foundation.
My skin drinks this foundation up, and I am left with a natural finish. The only drawback I can think of is the fact that it contains no SPF.

2) The Ordinary Retinoid 2 %
You can read my review of this here. This is a stand-out for this month as I have seen instant results.

3) Nyx Eyebrow Shaper. This is a product that I have been using at the end of April throughout all of May, and even though it is a simple thing- a clear wax crayon- it is perfect for me. I don't do anything really with my brows, aside from plucking them once in a while, so this simply allows me to shape my brows while keeping my hair in place. It is one of those things I don't even have to think about using.

4.) Fyrinnae eyeshadows in: Wicked Faeries and Serendipity. I am really glad I bought these two. They are…

Modern Renaissance 2, Subculture: Will I Buy It? (updated)

So, that happened.

I am not sure how permanent the colors are, or what the final product will be, but boy do I have thoughts about this palette.

One of these thoughts is...maybe I don't want to buy it.

To me, this looks like a more mainstream version of Lime Crime's Venus 2 Palette. See below:

Now, are these two identical? No, of course not. But when it comes to the concept of an "inverted palette," the concepts and "color stories" are undeniably similar.
I'm not going to start giving my money to Lime Crime, but it does not make the "cooler nighttime sister" of Modern Renaissance any more disappointing. Especially because the first glimpse of the palette really doesn't live up to those claims- there are a lot of pastels.
Lastly, the two shimmers of the Modern Renaissance were a point of disappointment for me- too similar and not of enough color. Well, the two discernible shimmers here belong to that same champagne color family- again, bori…