Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Palette Review: Dose of Colors Eyescream Palette

As always, when I am interested in an eye shadow palette, I research the hell out of it. Weirdly, this palette did not have many reviews by the typical line-up of beauty bloggers, so it made research difficult.

 I did not get this palette through DoC, as it was limited edition and I missed it, but I found it through Beauty Bay at the discounted price of $38.20. Beauty Bay is a UK retailer, and shipping was 7-10 days. While Sleek took forever to get to me, I did receive this palette, neatly and securely packaged, seven business days later. This palette is still for sale, but now for $40.50 on the BB website. Not really sure why that is the case.

To begin, I did not buy this palette because of the packaging. Though the packaging is cute, I think the toppings on the ice-cream look a little sickly and drippy. I purchased this because of the, frankly, smart and pleasing color combinations the palette offers. I use mostly neutral shadows, browns and golds, but the palette offers combinations to infuse a little color subtly into a look. Most tutorials use the color on the lower lash line, but I can't do that. For me, for example, the lilac matte can be blended on the edge of the creases to create a faint glowy-purple effect.

Without any further ado, I'll break down my review by shade:

  1. Berries N' Cream: The name for this shade sort of makes sense. This is a cream-colored matte shade with the faintest pink undertone. For me, this is great for the brow bone and as a way to set my eye primer. Other cream mattes I have are either warm toned or neutral, so I am glad I have this in my stash. 
  2. Mint Chip: The most pigmented foil in this palette, and one of the stand-out pops of color. This is the only one that I have not yet devised a look for that I like, but the quality of it is excellent. 
  3. Sherbert: A light copper foil. Reminds me a little of L'Oreal's Amber Rush, but Amber Rush is lighter and more metallic. The quality for this one was also excellent. 
  4. Cone: THE MVP of this palette. A rose-brown that I have fallen head over heals with. Unlike the other mattes in the palette (excluding Hot Fudge), this has a creamy texture. 
  5. Hot Fudge: A cool dark brown matte, cooler than Cyprus Umber from Modern Renaissance. Slightly powdery, but long-lasting and pigmented. 
  6. Banana Split: For me, the only true disappointment. Even when I tried to foil this, the effect simply was not impressive or pigmented as the other foils in this palette. A pale golden-yellow. 
  7. Blueberry Swirl: The hardest matte to work with, but still a good shade. It reminds me of what happens to skin when it is stained by blueberry or blackberry juice. A good crease shade as well. 
  8. Bubblegum: A cool-toned, vivid pink with microglitter. Yes, there is glitter. No, I don't think it takes away from the shade. 
  9. Lavender Honey: A matte light purple, and can be somewhat patchy when swatched, but can be blended out nicely on the eye. I am still getting the hang of using this one. 
  10. Double-Scoop: I could not believe I did not have a foiled mid-tone brown already. Now I do, and I love it. 
Quite obviously this has been through the ringer
As for swatches, finger swatch on left and brush on right. The finger swatch was just one swipe of shadow, while the brush was no more than 2. 



In sum: I do agree with reviewers that the palette was not worth its original price of $50. However, I am comfortable with the price that I paid for it, and am glad that I own this palette. It is original, thoughtful, and fun, with great quality shades. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig