Sunday, May 14, 2017

Anti-Haul, Part I "That's a No From Me, Thanks"

Happy Sunday! Today I thought I'd fight the Sunday blues by writing an anti-haul, one of my favorite types of videos/articles to see/read. As I've said before, Kimberly Clark is one of my faves, and she really brought this type of video/discourse into the online beauty community.

For me, anti-hauls are personal in a way that benefits others. These are based upon my personal preference and experience, so a reader might agree or learn that perhaps a specific product would then support their needs.

Please be aware that much of my reasoning will also be hyperbolic, much in the way hauls themselves are "OMGEE guise you neeeeeeed this!!!!"

Let's begin. The following are products that I actually want reeeeeaaaly bad. But I don't need them!!

1. TONYMOLY Inked Cushion Gel Liner, 2g/$10 g. Okayso this is one of those purchases that seem like a good deal. Ten dollars, and a good amount of product. Also, I will be perfectly honest when I say that I only want this because of the packaging. Check it out:


The reviews on Amazon, when filtered through Fakespot, are pretty positive. These are also similar in concept to the Storybook Cosmetics product, and I don't want to give money to Storybook Cosmetics. However, the reason I am not going to buy this is because I already have eyeliner. And when it comes to irresistible packaging, who am I really trying to impress? So it looks cute but....it's just for my eyes only. And I'm not positing to instragram to hundreds and thousands of followers...so what's the big deal? If you see the way I store my some of my eye product, the "display" element is kind of moot:


Finally, I am not going to buy this because it is a cushion eyeliner. In a way it does not matter how much product it has. Earlier this year, I purchased the Physician's Formula Eye Booster Cushion Eyeliner, which has 3 g. And it was completely dried out. I tried to revive  it, but it was too late. Cushion products in both are exposed to a lot of air, due to the amount of surface area, so they don't last very long. So even though there's a lot a lot of product, it won't last long. 

So while I admire the outer design of the product, and the way it appeals to my lit nerdy self, I have no use for this. I'm not going to buy it. 


2. Natasha Denona eyeshadow. Her singles are more than $20 dollars. Five-pan palettes are almost $50. And other palettes range from $129-$139.00. I am not a professional makeup artist. I am not trying to be. There is no point in buying any of this. One, you would expect for each and every shade to be perfect across the board. You are paying for this. Of course, looking at Temptalia's reviews, that is not the case. 

3. Viseart. My saltiness for Viseart was kindled yesterday when I was watching EmilyNoel83's video on the Pretty Vulgar brand's eyeshadow palette. She was pretty "meh" about the shades, but it was her reasoning that annoyed me. According to her, when compared to Viseart, it is hard to gauge the quality/appreciate the quality of other eyeshadow brands. I call BS. That can be said about every single brand apart from Viseart, if that is the case. She should then, in all future eyeshadow reviews, say the same thing, that essentially Viseart ruined all eyeshadow for her.

Of course, that is unreasonable. I think she was completely apathetic about the brand's quality, and really had nothing else to say. Which, if that is the case, just say so.

I won't purchase Viseart because I have too many matte eyeshadows, and their other shimmer palettes are not that well-received, apart from the Bijoux Royal palette. I would consider purchasing that one, but it has colors I just would not wear. I am also not a makeup artist, again. 


4. Ardency Inn Manuka Honey in Rose Gold, $20-something. Okay, this one pains me because it is getting harder and harder to find this online. But it is soo pretty. But I keep telling myself it is just eyeshadow, and rose gold eyeshadows are not that uncommon. We'll see. 

5. Stila, Magnificent Metals. This one is is getting a lot of buzz. For .15 oz, it sells for $24. I feel like that's pretty pricey for Stila. I am not going to buy this because the quality varies too much from shade to shade, and it's pretty inconsistent. This is due to the fact that some of the shades have an actual color liquid base, while others do not. I've also heard reviews of the glitter falling off/being chunky. After looking at the swatches at Temptalia, hardly any except for the Rose Gold look opaque. And the "mermaid/unicorn" pink/purple/blue duochrome ones are simply not my style.

6. Carli Bybel Deluxe Palette from BH Cosmetics, $19.00. I am one of those few who did not purchase the original one. For me, most of the shades looked exactly the same, and I am not a fan of BH Cosmetics matte eyeshadow. The Deluxe palette, which came out last month, certainly looks deluxe. I've watched a couple of videos that have swatches of this palette, but no live swatches, which I thought was strange. I am not going to purchase this. Though I think the shimmery shades are quite pretty, I would love to see BH Comsetics sell them as singles. Again, the mattes would be redundant for me, and the sheer amount of highligher in this palette is overwhelming. This palette looked bloated.
And I don't really buy the claim that some highlighters can be used as eyeshadow. It really depends on the formula. If the highlighters are of a looser formula than the eyeshadows, then one would require glitter glue or a really sticky primer, because many highlighters are actually formulated to blend and sheer out.

I see a lot of people talk about her original palette on YouTube. She ends up in a lot of decluttering videos. Whether or not people declutter it, many of them attest to the fact that they simply do not use it. While I do think the deluxe palette  is certainly more inspiring than the original one, I have a feeling that in a couple of months, people will be saying the same thing about the deluxe one as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig