Sunday, April 1, 2018

Duping the Soft Glam Palette

Though I think there is something very beautiful about the Soft Clam palette, I can't deny that it is a very dupe-able palette. So I decided it would be fun to go through my collection and see what I can actually dupe!


1.) Tempera. Now, I owned Tempera in my Modern Renaissance palette. I have used up most of it, though. While there is still a teeny bit of usable powder left on the sides of the pan, I thought the best thing to do would be to use the dupe of Tempera that is in some of the new WnW palettes. There is one in the Not a Basic Peach palette that I swatched. Basically, any satin cream color will do. 

2.) Our first (there will be more) golden shade. Temptalia noted this as having an olive-tone. I myself used the shade Hype from the Tarteist Pro to Go palette, swatched below. I am not sure if that has the same precise undertones as Glistening, but do I care? No. 




3.) Orange Soda was easy for me. I have two dupes in my collection, both by Coloured Raine. I've got the single Angel Face, as well as the shade Heir in the Queen of Hearts palette. 

4.) Rose Pink: This is a berry shimmer- but more red toned/pink. I honestly do not own something like that. I have a cool-toned pink shimmer in the Eyes Cream palette, but that would not do. I ended up settling for the metallic shade from the Zodiac Palette from BH Cosmetics. It is from the Leo segment of the palette. Though it is highly metallic and lighter than Soft Glam, it does have a rose tone to it. 

5.) Sultry. The picture of the palette is a bit deceiving. It looks pink, but ABH describes this as a "chocolate brown." So I chose the metallic copper shade from the Pro to Go called Boss. It is gorgeous, and has a pink tint to it. 

6.) Bronze. I don't understand this one. This is another gold, but it is called bronze. It has a strong yellow/brown tone to it, nearly a duochrome, but swatches pretty straightforward as gold. I pretty much just shrugged on this one and used what I thought worked as an actual bronze shade (which I am not even sure what that means anymore), from the Too Faced PB & J palette: Peanut Butter Cup. 





7.) Mulberry. This is the Mulberry from the Carli Bybel palette. Unlike the ABH, it is satin, not ultra-matte. I love the formula on this one.

8.) Dusty Rose. I mean, it's pretty much Buon Fresco, right?

9.) Fairy. Another weak gold?! I am honestly shocked. I have seen countless pictures of this palette online, but it really did not occur to me how many sheer gold shades this palette contained.  I decided to use Bananas from the Too Faced PB & J palette because that is a sheer gold.

10.) Burnt Orange. I have it! It's in the MR palette.

11.) Sienna. This one caused me some contention. Temptalia said a lighter dupe is from the PB & J palette, the shade "Nuts About U." I then swatched Realgar from the MR palette, thinking that could work. I ended up not liking either as dupes. The picture below contains two swatches- the left the second transition color from WnW's Not a Basic Peach palette, and the second one "Crisp" from the Tarte Pro to Go. I think the WnW comes out on top.



12.) Rustic: A neutral mid-toned brown. I used Duchess from the Queen of Hearts palette, though that may be too dark.

13.) Cyprus Umber: From the MR palette.

14.) Noir: A matte black. I have two in my collection, and one I really like. It is from the Zodiac palette, which is swatched on the right.

(l) WnW, (r) BH Cosmetics
What did I learn?

When I originally learned of this palette, I knew there were so many parallels to the Modern Renaissance. But I still thought it was a stronger palette than the Modern Renaissance. For starters, the shimmer shades in the MR were way too similar, and one had pretty weak pigmentation (Primavera). The variety of shimmers in SG APPEAR to be more diverse.

But, as a result of this project, I learned that the shimmers are still an issue in this palette. Three shimmery golds is not something I am too happy about. The only shimmer I don't actually own is that Rose one, but I could always get a single or something, if I really wanted to.

Ultimately, I can replicate the palette enough in my own collection, and there is no pressing urge to buy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig