Sunday, April 1, 2018

Cinematically Inclined: Pacific Rim 2 (short review)

I was asked to accompany my younger brother to see the film Pacific Rim 2 today. My thoughts, including spoilers, are under the jump.




When I saw the first one in 2013, I loved it. It was not a perfect film, it was quirky, but it had heart.

This movie hits the beats it thinks it needs to, but for no reason.

Kill Mako Mori?

Insert a teenage white Mary-Sue for reasons?

Insert a Scott Eastwood character for reasons?

Insist upon emotional resolutions without any build-up or backstory?

Thanks, I hate all of it.

The action and underlying plot was okay. Newt being a villain was cool, but I have a feeling if the film was being helmed by someone who actually gave a shit about the stories and the characters, this would have been developed more and made grotesque.

John Boyega was fine, but I don't think he was given much to work with.

I could have skipped it. I should have. I'm just going to pretend I didn't see it.

Five years, people. You had five years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig