Monday, February 26, 2018

The Year of Blush

I am not saying this as a generalization about beauty trends overall, but I do think that there will be a shift away from highlighters. Speaking for myself, I have a medium-sized highlighter collection that I still plan on using, but recently I've become more interested in blush.

Take Makeup Geek's Puppy Love. I bought this on sale last year, determined to try a browned-toned blush. And for a year, I did not touch it because it was too pigmented, and I felt it did not blend easily. Furthermore, I did not feel I enjoyed the "apple of your cheeks" bush placement.

But I learned. I learned that I could mix blushes, and that I could be a lot more creative with blush placement. And I haven't looked back.

Last night I was doing a video interview, and I wanted my makeup to be minimal. So I took a shimmery gold and placed it all over my lid, I used mascara, Clinique's Black Honey on my lips, and a mix of Puppy Love and Pixi's Beach Rose, which is even browner than Puppy Love, but less pigmented. Using my elf kabuki brush, I stamped the blush and blended upwards to my temples, creating a really natural flushed look.

I liked it so much I wore it today. And I probably will wear it tomorrow.

What is lovely about blush is that it is timeless in a way highlighter is not. No matter what, if over-done it emphasizes texture. I've seen it ruin countless tutorials. Blush doesn't do that.

If the highlighter trend does eventually slow down, we might see an interest in matte highlighters. Whatever that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig