Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Duping Nars Danger Control Palette

Does anyone remember this palette? It came out almost a year ago, and I literally do not remember anyone talking about it. Partly the reason for that is the fact that Nars limited edition eye palettes have a very uniform look to them, so it's hard to distinguish among them.

However,  I was browsing swatches of some new palette on Temptalia's site, and I noticed she listed a shade called "Aeryn Sun" as a dupe. Interesting, I thought to myself. That's the name of one of the best characters in a really great show called Farscape. To what indie brand does this belong to?

And that led me to finding out about this palette- a palette of light duochrome shimmers that was technically limited edition, but still can be purchased on some online retailers, like Macy's.

The palette is called Danger Control, cost $59, and looks like this:


No, this is not a mind-blowing palette. Other brands have done duochromes, and these are very light. I get that.

But I still find this palette very...me. But rather than spend money on it, I thought I would conduct research to see if I could dupe it in my collection.

So, let's begin!

The first shade is called Rave, and I duped it with Colourpop's Prowlin'. Rave is definitely more silver/gray toned, and while Prowlin' has a pale gold reflect. While I definitely am interested in silver tones now, Prowlin' makes a suitable replacement.

The second shade is Elektra, and it has been done to death. This was the shade of 2017-2018, in a way, making appearances in many a palette- basically a warm pink with a gold reflect. I have this in a pressed glittery pigment version in Looxi's Dollface, and the fourth shade in the Carli Bybel Deluxe palette.

Third was surprisingly difficult- the name that began my quest for this dupe palette, Aeryn Sun. The picture above is misleading. It is a really pale champagne shimmer with a silvery shine. The best I could do was Stila Kitten.

Fourth is Bionic, another classic duochrome- a warm white with gold reflect. You can find this in many places, including Coastal Scents Elven Gold and Colourpop Now and Zen. For me, I chose the center highlight shade in the BH Cosmetics Zodiac Palette.


And fifth was the most difficult, because the color shift was really hard to see online. Haedus is a weird light peachy base with a pink/purple shift. Looking at more pictures, Nabla Millennium probably would have sufficed, but I chose Surreal Makeup highlighter in Frost Wyrm, which is described as lilac shifting.

Finally, Tonic is a cool toned purple shimmer. I chose Nabla's Calypso which is warmer, but that is my ideal purple shimmer. Another option is Celestial from the Norvina palette.



And below I swatched Celestial and Carli Bybel #4 for reference.


So what did I learn? As much as I like the idea of an all-duochrome palette, I have to consider that in a palette, the subtleties of each color can get a little lost. Stepping back, the palette just looks very light, and it looks like it can be a face palette for most skin tones, if the actual base color of the shades are sheer enough. Though duochromes are special and fun, I definitely think something got lost in this palette.

If Nars could make face duos or just eye duos with the same formula and the shades broken up this way, I think that would be more consumer-friendly.

So that's all I got, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig