Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Trying New Techniques with the Subculture Palette

Did I mention I bought the Subculture palette?

Probably not. Upon its contentious, controversial, dramatic, tragic, tragicomic, etc. etc. release I stayed far away. Too much trouble, I said to myself. Definitely not worth $40-something, I said to myself.

But what about $22? sang the siren's call of TJ Maxx.

Hm.

And for the most part, I avoided purchasing from TJ Maxx for at least two months since it started popping up.

But eventually I caved. I caved because 1.) I am drawn to iconic color stories, 2.) I am sort of an ABH stan (only sort of), and 3.)  as much as the quality of the palette is debatable, I thought it had a place in my collection.

I plan on reviewing the entire palette later, but I will say that it has pushed me to branch out a little bit and try new techniques, which I very much appreciate. These new techniques are required by the type of products in this palette.

For example, Subculture contains these matte shades that are not kidding about being matte. They are so serious, so serious about being matte you guys. They don't move an inch once you place them down. Which is a shame. How am I supposed to blend that?

(Now, I should note I knew about these issues before I bought the palette. )

Well, what about liner? I actually don't mind using powder to line my eyes, as long as I have a good lining brush. In this case, the Luxie 215 Small Angle brush was the one I used for this following lewk:


Now, don't get me wrong. I know this look is super basic. But for me, I was trying things that I normally never do. And I liked the results. 

So we have remnants of Stila Kitten on the lid, and then from the Subculture palette: Dawn as the transition, New Wave on the outercorner. I put down a brown-toned Physicians Formula liner, and packed the shade Rowdy on top of it. 


Using Rowdy, I then made a small wing. I was not liking the appearance of the wing, so I drew a line downwards and connected it. 

I then brought Rowdy further along my lash line. I used Fudge with the Cargo Magic Eye Brush, which is just a small, very densely packed blending brush to blend. And then I took Dawn also on the lower lash line and swept it across the blend Rowdy a bit more. 


My thoughts?

I think I definitely am going to be doing this in the future. It was't too difficult nor time-consuming. I would just work on shrinking down the wing a little bit so it doesn't look so hooked.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig