Saturday, September 9, 2017

What I did not buy- Drugstore Edition

So this might seem like a weird or banal topic, but I congratulated myself today. I made it through a hard work week, and resisted buying several beauty items.

I thought it would be interesting to list them below, including my reasons for ultimately saying, "I don't need it and I'm not gonna buy it!"

1.) Wet n Wild Photo Focus Foundation- This five dollar foundation was interesting to me because the reviews for it are so divided. Either people swear by it, or say that it sucks. I am 50% done with my Ordinary Foundation, so I am starting to look elsewhere for comparable products. However, the shade range, I was afraid, was not going to work for me. According to the Walmart display, the lightest shade was "warm-toned," which was concerning to me. I am cool-toned myself, and would have to do more research to see if they have an offering that suits me best.

2.) Physician's Formula Butter Blush: They added more shades, including a highlighter, though it is still labeled as a blush (they are coming out with a separate highlighter line, though). I was so tempted and even had one in my cart, but they cost $10. That's a lot. Aaaaand I did find a veery interesting product on Amazon, a favorite of Kimberly Clark herself- it is a trio by Wet 'n Wild of a highlighter, blush, and bronzer, the now discontinued Fair Trade Coffee. With that on the way, I have no need to buy rather pricey Physician's Formula stuff.

3.) Hard Candy Highlighter in Rose Gold- "Dupes" for Becca's geode highlighters. This was sooooo tempting. They look just like the Becca design, except that they have three stripes of color, rather than being one solid color. I was ready and I did not even look at the price. But in the pan they seemed really glittery, and I knew I would need to see reviews.

As a side-note, I am all for drugstore/more affordable brands replicating higher end products. All for it. I said it once, and I'll say it again, I don't believe this practice decreases the consumer amount of the higher-end stuff. I wasn't going to buy your wares anyway, Becca.

4.) Wet n Wild Concealers: Another purchase I avoided because they seemed a little dark again. Also, I am currently using a mix of two concealers: Maybelline Master Conceal, and Revlon Age Rewind. The Maybelline is yellow-toned, and the Age Rewind is pink-toned, but not as much as it used to be. I wonder if they improved the formula. Any way, I did not need another concealer. So I skipped it.

5.) Milani Blushes: These are so pretty. Both the baked ones, and the rose ones. However, I am on the hunt for a nice purple-toned blush, and they really didn't have that available. So I bought nothing.

6.) Maybelline Rainbow and Gold Highlighters: Another case, for the Rainbow one, of "I need to see swatches." The Rainbow trend is definitely waning down, and the Maybelline offering definitely looks more appealing than the Wet 'n Wild one. But it would probably not work for me. This also is the same case with the Gold shade- though I did see really impressive swatches, I know it is too dark, and I have plenty of highlighters already.

So a lot of products that I avoided. I am actually really surprised at myself, and proud that I can refrain so easily from stress-spending. Sometimes it does not feel that way.

That's not to say I didn't buy anything at all, recently. I have that Wet 'n Wild trio on the way,


No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig