Sunday, September 17, 2017

Shout-Out: Palette Reorganization

Today the user r/yodaloda posted on the Makeup Addiction subreddit 31 pictures they photoshopped of reorganized eyeshadow palettes. Their post on imgur of all palettes can be found here.

Not only was this pleasing to look at, but from a consumer-standpoint, really enlightening. This practice really highlighted how, in many palettes, the same shades repeat over and over again, and consumers are being duped into believing the palette has more variety than they do in reality.

With that in mind, I'll repost the WORST offenders here, especially palettes that I have not already blasted for doing this.  At the end, I'll just list the palettes that, even after reorganization, still clearly had variety when it comes to color.

Original palettes are on the left, and reorganized palettes on the right. I will be commenting on what becomes apparent when you look at the ones on the right.

The worst:
The She Palette from Colourpop- that entire first row, and bottom left two colors really will not look that different on the eye. 
Kylie's vacation palette, again that left side of the palette of repeating light shades. 
Lorac Megapro something: I mean....this is just rude. 
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar, Too Faced. This one really helped me because I always carried a torch for this palette. But to see it for what it truly is convinces me that I really don't need it. 
And this. The Too Faced Chocolate Bon Bons. A taupe snooze fest. 

Other thoughts: If a person recognizes that there will be shades on the palette that will go on the eye very similarly, and that they are not getting a palette of completely distinct shades, and maybe they do want extra pans of cream or brown or taupe, but then the companies should be more transparent. 

The ones I was most surprised by include The Subculture palette. Now, I know that the formula for this is a mess, and that on the skin they did not look all that great or distinct. But the IDEA of it looks really intriguing, even though I know personally I would never buy it.

I also was pleasantly surprised by The Sweet Peach palette, which I think does manage a gradient effect, while still being somewhat distinct. I still would not buy it, but I did see the palette in a new light. Same goes for the Huda Beauty Rose Gold Palette. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig