Saturday, November 3, 2018

Makeup Releases That Disappointed Me

When a brand sneak peeks picture of their products, you don't get the whole story. I find that when I see a glimpse of packaging or a swatch, I fill in the blanks about what I thought the product was going to look like. It is not until I see multiple swatches and pictures do I then feel like I got a comprehensive idea of how the product is going to perform.

So let's talk about a few product releases that really disappointed me in this way.

The first up is the upcoming Too Faced Pretty Rich eye palette.

As someone who owns last year's Diamond Highlighter, I was expecting something rather cool-toned, super girly and frilly, and unabashedly feminine. I was excited when I saw promo images that showed the familiar jewelry box-edge.

But then we got the full image of the inside and outside of the palette:


The inside is the Naked Palette. It is the Naked Palette. It is the Naked Palette. To rephrase- this is a super neutral color scheme with randomly shaped pans that contain some questionable formula.

And then the worst part? The packaging ruined by that disgusting stationary font with "Pretty Rich." It destroyed for me any interest I had in this palette. Too Faced out Too-Faced itself, and the results were not pretty.

The next palette I want to talk about is the Natasha Denona little palette in Cranberry, $48. Now, I never was a Natasha Denona person, nor will I ever be, BUT for some reason I loved how this palette turned out. In the past, I felt ND wasted some colors in these small palettes and really did not select the colors thoughtfully, but I thought I liked the look of these:


 Looking at the (heavy) swatches and pictures, I thought this palette had really distinct shades.

And then I saw some more pics:


I noticed that the warmth of the shadows varied from person to person, and I noticed that the two mattes really were not that different after all. The purple shimmer I thought I was obsessed with doesn't look like a purple after all. 

Because of the amount of variance in people's pictures, I just thought it best to avoid altogether. The repetition of colors turned me off this palette completely. 

The next palette is not one I wanted originally, but one that I found disappointing after finding out who the original brand was:


Sigma, what happened? At first I thought this was either a Bare Minerals eye palette, or one of those cheaper private label ones. When I found out it was Sigma, I was shocked. Are they trying to rebrand? I can see the Sigma symbol pressed into the two highlighter pans. I don't know. It just seemed so different than what they were before. 

Finally, for some reason Nabla gets a lot of crap on my blog. I don't know why. I have bought Millenium in the past, and actually just placed an order for two more singles. However, I know I am not a fan of their palette color schemes:


This is their Poison Garden palette. 

Now, I will say that I think the colors are beautiful. I've seen live swatches of this palette, and for the most part each shadow has its own unique quality, which you don't see too often. 

However, I do think a.) it's too similar to the other palettes Nabla's released previously, and 2.) not reminiscent of a Poison Garden. I am sorry. In my head I was picturing sumptuous greens, blues, and wines, and then we get this. It was just a bit disappointing.

So, that's my list for tonight! Any releases that disappointed you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig