Tuesday, August 7, 2018

More Makeup Ramblings, a text post and an anti-haul addendum

An addendum to my anti-haul of the Lemonade Palette by Christian Dominique, that is. I'll be so bold to say I may have predicted the problems with the shimmers- saying that they were not vibrant enough. CD then went and corrected these issues, and Temptalia reviewed the palette, giving it a very high score of A-.

Now, I am not about to buy another palette out of nowhere. I just bought the Norvina palette. But it does grind my gears a tad that two of the highest rated colors in the Lemonade palette, Pink Lemonade and Strawberry, are the exact types of pink that I have been looking for. 

Now, I don't usually do this, but I am going to show you the swatches of those two colors that Temptalia provided in her review, along with my commentary on those swatches. 




I believe Pink Lemonade is on the left, and Strawberry on the right. Temptalia described both of these as "warm toned" pinks, which I do not agree with at all. These strike me as more bubble-gum cool toned pinks, which is exactly what I have been looking for. I do think that warmth or lack thereof is all relative, though, and out of context I can see how these could skew warm.

But it concerns me that such similar shades can be found in one palette. Even on Temptalia's website, she cites the same shadows as dupes for each of them. This tells me that the industry has had trouble formulating these shadows for some reason, and there are just not enough of them out there. 

So, the fact that these colors are specifically ones I am craving, in a palette that I anti-hauled, seem to perform so well, compared to the palette I actually got, which contains the cool-toned pink shimmer (Wild Child, Norvina) rankles. 

I still don't know why there are two of them in the palette, but w/e. Overall, I do think the Norvina palette is more interesting to me than the Lemonade palette, but I do applaud Dominique Cosmetics for re-issuing a palette and not going over the top with the hype machine. It was a very subdued release, and definitely makes me interested in any future releases. 

Let's keep going! 

So Natasha Denona thinks we care about her brand anniversary (how very Too Faced), and is releasing a Safari palette. It's going to be as Safari as Taylor Swift Wildest Dreams I'll tell ya what. 

No, I will never be convinced that her palettes are worth it. And I truly question the eye of her design team. The Camel palette was atrociously and aggressively bland, especially when the brand already has those colors out there in those kinds of smaller palettes. The Safari Palette will have a lot of earth tones, which could be really pretty, but we'll see what they decide to do. As of now, they have a black and white photo to generate hype but that's so played out.

Finally, I think Mac somewhat embarrassed themselves yesterday. They would not release the name of the person they were collaborating with, and instead featured a signature of the person with a prominent B for the first name, on top of an outline of Texas. Of course, everyone wanted it to be a big name like Beyonce or...Bunny (wut), but instead, they revealed it to be the designer Brandon Maxwell. You can view his runways over at GoFugYourself, and I am actually quite fond of his designs- very simple and chic, if not a tad boring. As a collaboration, I think Mac should have just revealed who it was upfront. Instead, they invited a maelstrom of comments that really did illustrate what people want- big names in popular culture and the online community. Because when they announced his name finally, it was going to be a letdown, which it did not have to be. 

And so, those are my rants for tonight! Did I miss anything? As always, thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig