Saturday, August 18, 2018

Anti-Haul: Trixie Mattel x Sugar Pill Collab

To start, I should note that I am going to approach this through the eye of someone who has never used Sugarpill Cosmetics. The brand strikes me as geared or at least friendly to pros, given their offerings of large pans of color, and their higher price tag.

Their most recent collab with drag queen Trixie Mattel strikes me as a bid to appeal to the more everyday consumer.

I mean, I don't mean to be mean, but it kinda looks like a Tarte palette.


Notice how the palette is adorned with yellow roses, even though yellow is not a featured color in the palette? Nice.

A couple of reasons I will be skipping this include the fact that I am not a Trixie Mattel fan. I hate how she was brought back in her season, and she got a lot of praise for mediocrity, while other queens were ignored. I think a lot of viewers saw themselves in Trixie, and made her out to be more interesting/special than she was. That's my hot take.

I am surprised by how low key and boring this palette is. Perhaps because The Little Twin Stars palette (which I thought looked cool) was not received well, Sugar Pill is trying a different approach to compete with other makeup companies? But the Twin Stars palette didn't have great pigmentation. That doesn't necessarily mean that people don't want color.

And before I continue, I know that neutral palettes are and always will be loved. But a limited edition collab should be fun, interesting, and special. If I did not know who Trixie Mattel was, or even Sugarpill, I'd guess this was a Lorac palette.

And guess what, with the liquid lip included, it costs $52.

Hm.

May I suggest two other face and eye palettes that I personally think are more interesting?

1.) BH Cosmetics x Its My Raye Raye Palette, $22



2.) The Balm Alternative Rock Face Palettes, $27.50


Sorry, Sugarpill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig