Friday, July 13, 2018

Almay Shadow Squad in Fairy Tale: Review and Swatches

So, as part of Almay's rebranding, they've released these little quads of eyeshadow called "Shadow Squads," packaged in a sleek transparent little square, with many different colors out there. Each quad (because I am not going to keep typing Squad) contains colors in the same family, but with different finishes.

I purchased at CVS the shade Fairy Tale quad, because 1.) I am a fairy tale nerd, and 2.) these appeared to be iridescent versions of the primary colors, in the same vein of the Kat Von D Alchemist Palette. I paid $6.99, for  3.5 g of product.

Let's get into some pictures:




 Order of swatches: Green, Blue, Red, and Yellow

 All the colors mixed together.


As for my assessment, the only positive thing I can say is that the powder is very soft, and when I initially placed my finger in, I was hopeful based on the texture of the product. However, there is barely any color pay-off. Each shade is vaguely the color as shown in the pan, but each is filled with glitter of the same color. I will say that the glitters are small and could be very flattering, but they are so sparse and the iridescent base so sheer that there is hardly any impact on the eye.

The eyeshadow even failed the Pixie Epoxy and wet brush tests, as normal quality shadows are able to be enhanced by either medium.

I also tried to swirl a face brush in the pan to make a highlighter, but again, no impact. The swatch I provided looks pigmented, but when blended out, it disappears. All that remains is the glitter.

This line is so weird, and I am quite disappointed. It is almost as if Almay is desperate to gain some footing in the market, but they have seemed to underestimate or misunderstand what customers are looking for. I expected pigment. My last Almay purchase was a couple of months ago, when I bought a liquid eyeliner because I was in a pinch. That stuff washed off so easily, and had no staying power. So how updated is this company, really?

I regret this purchase and wish I didn't fall for the gimmick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig