Saturday, July 14, 2018

5 Products I Did Not Expect to Love

This title might seem a bit weird because why would somebody buy something not expecting to enjoy using it?

But allow me to explain.

Either my first impressions of these products were wrong, or I purchased them not really expecting much, but have since learned that it is more than it appears. This all sounds cryptic. Let's just get into it.

I did not expect to love the Pixi Lower Lash mascara. I remember there were a lot of lukewarm reviews about this product, which actually was a collaboration with someone I don't know, but the overall consensus was just confusion about the utility of such a product. Furthermore, I don't really love Pixi as a brand. I have had terrible luck with their lip products and eyeshadows, though I admittedly use the Glow Tonic. But I really really like the lower lash mascara. I bought it and the brow gel for $8.00 (retail $16) at TJ Maxx on a whim, and have not regretted it.

The mascara defines and lengthens the lashes in a natural way, creating a feathery effect. I enjoy using it on my top lashes as well. As my eyelashes can be difficult, the brush is fine enough to comb through them. After, I typically layer on another mascara, such as Essence Lash Princess, and my lashes really pop.

And actually, I learned that Pixi is coming out with a mascara that contains both a lower lash and upper lash wand. If it performs the way mine currently does, I would happily buy it! I really think they are on to something with this.

The second product was in the same duo. Though I use the Essence Make Me Brow, sometimes I don't want color. I didn't really think the Pixi one was going to be anything special, but it does an excellent job of shaping my brows and keeping them in place. I would say, though, it is more of a light hold if anything.

Next, I did not expect to love the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Fair (15). I bought this after hearing a lot of glowing reviews, but around that time I also got the Colourpop No Filter Concealer, and the BH Cosmetics Pro concealer. Those two are very light and bright, and good for under the eye, and I just wasn't paying any attention to the Maybelline one, which is closer to my skin-tone. But when I needed to spot conceal, the CP and BH ones didn't cut it. Not only is the Maybelline one great because it is a good match, but also because it is pigmented and durable, and will last on your face as a spot-concealer.

My first impressions of the Looxi Shadow Mirage were not stellar, because I explained how it is on the sheerer side, and doesn't play well with my more dependable bases, such as Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy. However, I have since learned that the shadow does better wet, or with regular eyeshadow primer all over the lid. I really like the effect of it that way, and have since learned to be happy that this shade is in my collection. If you want to see a look featuring this shade, check-out my LA Splash eyeliner review from earlier today.

Lastly, I did not expect to love the Milani Contour & Highlight Cream and Liquid Duo. I bought this last summer for $11 from their website because it was new. I was not impressed by the liquid highlighter, which is more on the natural, subtle side, and decided that the whole product was not for me.

But then I got into cream stick contouring, and there is something about the Milani one I really enjoy. It blends well, does not disappear, and has a bit of a grey tone to it. I have been using it for a couple of weeks. It contains 3.6 g of product, which compared to the KKW contour stick, is about 4 times as much. Just saying.

What have I learned? In most if not all of these cases, my first impressions were off because I only was thinking of one intended use for the product, or way to use the product, which was incredibly limiting. I learned to get the full use out of my products and I ended up with five things that I not only use a lot, but really like.

What are some products you did not expect to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig