Sunday, July 30, 2017

Beauty Purchases pt 2, ramblings, swatches, and a conspiracy@

So I contacted Stila customer service yesterday, as I am trying to cancel my eyeshadow order. The order has been processing for a week, according to my Paypal,  and the more I thought about it, the more it seemed foolish to order Kitten.

The thing about cult beauty products is this: they became popular at the time because they fulfilled a perceived need. But the market continues to grow, and companies continue to innovate yada yada yada. So perhaps about 5-7 years ago Kitten was an "essential" because it was the only shimmery champagne eyeshadow on the market, but that is no longer the case. By far.

I already own a dupe for Stila Kitten: L'Oreal 24 Hour Infallible eyeshadow in Iced Latte. And yes, it is a tad sheer and a teensy bit cooler than Kitten, but it seems like that would hardly make a difference on the eye. I also have an unnamed foil from BH Cosmetics that also belongs to this family of eyeshadow. I put swatches of both below because why not? If anyone in this void of internet space can confirm that the BH cosmetics one is a dupe, please let me know.
Iced Latte (l), BH Cosmetics Foil (r)

Interesting to note, I do think think that the foil shade is more of a true dupe because it is clearly a more pink-toned shadow. AND it was even more highly rated, in terms of quality, than Stila's Kitten. Iced Latte, though pretty, does read sheer for me. It does have a creamy, almost wet formula, like the other ones in the L'Oreal line, and it does interact very nicely with primer and glitter glue, especially for the inner corner highlight.

So, Stila Kitten? No need for it. And this was $16.

Not being entirely satisfied, I decided to put that money towards eyeshadow I actually really wanted. And being the Ebay shopper that I am, I bought from someone a new Tarte pro to go palette for $16.00. I am very excited about this palette, because I know it is good. I've been researching this palette for a long time. And the price for it kept going down.

from Tarte website

But no one talks about it. I have never tried Tarte shadows before, and I really am impressed with the reviews I've seen. Plus, I ordered this palette local, so the thing will arrive this Thursday! Hoping it all works out. Will update.

In terms what else I bought, I've really been enjoying my Revlon lip butter in Fig Jam. It does read "jammy" on the lips, and is a very flattering color. It is not particularly hydrating, so I do combine it with my mini Vaseline lip balm.

The brush I bought from Amazon is also pretty good too.

Lastly, I wanted to take the time to put some thought about the Subliminal Cuticle palette (lol.) For me, I am not 100% bothered by a formula change. I understand that different colors sometime require different formulations. Correct me if I am wrong. Additionally, talc does not personally bother me. I have palettes both with and without it. I just think that ABH has a lot of nerve to sell something to an average consumer, $42, that takes a lot of work to use. No one will say this is a user-friendly palette.

There is something off about the palette. I understand that MR does create a lot of kick-up, and I have observed creasing (but the creasing was a result of my own technique fail). However, the pictures I have seen of the SC palette, or even in tutorials when people hold up the palette as they use it- even the metallic shades look wrecked. Like whatever was in the pan just shifted around.

I also have thought-up a conspiracy- that ABH sent the palettes to smaller bloggers to avoid this kind of attention early on in the release, so it would not affect their sales. That is just a speculation I have chosen to put out there.

In sum,

Companies are fallible. Don't trust anybody.

Buh-eyyyyye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig