Saturday, June 2, 2018

Vintage Palettes I Would Have Purchased (pt 1)


I did not become knowledgeable about makeup until about 2014, so I am curious about the different makeup palettes floating out there in the world prior to this awakening. I thought it would be fun to start with the year 2009-2015, and identify palettes I am genuinely sad I missed out on so long ago.

Consider this to be a kind of makeup flashback post, but also a TMO, and shop my stash!

Let's begin with the year I graduated high school and started college. The year was 2009.  My research on what palettes existed during this time yielded not much,  except for the Guerlain Tsarina Palette. I mean, there was no way I was ever going to buy it even if I knew about it, but as someone with Russian roots, there is something so pleasing about the name and design of the palette:


Furthermore, I think it is really interesting we have all the warm tones in here that are considered so essential now (myself included).


Next, 2010. The advent of the Naked Palette. I can see why this was an exciting, pivotal release. I am sure, being such a fan of browns and golds, I would have rocked this palette. However, being the cheapskate that I am, I know I would have purchased and loved the Wet 'n Wild Golden Goddess Coloricon Palette. To this day, I am obsessed with hunting the Coloricon Palettes down. The Golden Goddess one looks like this:


I can't even get good images! All I know that it is a six-pan shimmer palette of golds, coppers, and browns. Though I do have plenty of those colors as of now, I can't deny that this would have been loved by me.


2011
There is one palette that when I found out it existed, I was so upset. I was years too late. We are talking about The Balm Muppet Palette, otherwise known as Cast Your Shadow palette. This is a Muppet Themed Eye Shadow Palette. This is not a drill, folks. 

It looks like this:
Now, to be fair, if I put the packaging aside, I do have a couple of issues with the palette. The muppets are so vibrant, and I am disappointed that the eyeshadows are so muted. This definitely looks like The Nude 'Tude Palette, which I did own a couple of years later. Not only that, this palette came with a lip palette, which I know I would not have used. 

So, even though the packaging and concept is amazing, I hope eventually another brand gets a crack at a collaboration with the Muppets, because I don't think The Balm did the best job, color-wise. 

In 2012, Urban Decay came out with a Vice palette, but that would have been too colorful for me. Instead, I think I would have wanted the Milani Abstract Powder Eyeshadows. 



Each sold for $8.99, and looking at the swatches, the quality did not seem shabby. Even just for the novelty of it, I would have liked to purchase them if I knew they existed.

Moving to a higher price point, I would have absolutely loved the Stila in the Light Eyeshadow Palette. 
It looks so tame now, doesn't it? It almost has the same color scheme as the Aspyn Ovard palette, but I know that college me would have been all over this. As someone not concerned with any complicated eye looks, just wanting to look natural, this is probably a palette I would have gone for.


2013 saw a bit of an explosion in palette offerings. I actually do have memories of influencers talking about the Too Faced Pretty Rebel palette, and looking at it now, it looks like a great palette:


Seriously. It looks well-balanced, fun, and I think it definitely could complete with the color schemes a lot are putting out now, especially Colourpop. 

Additionally, through research I found out about the Sephora Color Anthology, which looks like predecessors to the Pro Palettes:

It looks a little rough around the edges, and a bit overwhelming, but the swatches I saw online looked pretty decent. I think as a novice back in the day, I would have loved something like this. 

The purple lover in me would absolutely have been drawn to the ABH Catwalk Palette:
Image result for abh catwalk palette

as well as the Laura Mercier Eye Artist Palette:


But also because I loved and still love gemstone related things, Tarina Tarantino Emerald Pretty Eyeshadow Palette would have called to me, even though realistically I don't know what I would have done with that teal....

So, I think I'll wrap it up here friends. 2013 definitely seems to be the starting point for the palette craze...I'll finish up this post with a second part, so stay tuned! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig