Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Products I Did Not Expect to Love, pt 3

We're back with another installment of products I did not expect to love! As I've said in previous posts, first impressions can certainly be reliable, but I find that many times I approach a product in one way and the product does not end up being interesting or useful to me. Over time, and as my technique and sense of things improves, I end up finding things in my collection that I do enjoy, and my first impressions are not correct.

So, let's get into it!

Milani Prep Set + Glow Powder. Note: I think I mentioned this powder in a previous post. But since then, I have found another use for this powder- to set my under-eye concealer.

Why I didn't like it before? I thought it was rather expensive, at around $9.00. And previously I was less than thrilled with the concept of translucent powders.

Why do I like it now? It smells amazing, has lasted a really long time, and works well to set my undereye concealer,  which is the Maybelline Fit Me. I have experienced some creasing, so I needed a good powder that wouldn't exacerbate the fine lines there.  Other powders I own are too drying, but this powder is not.

Looxi Aurora Shadow, Mirage. This one was a bit of a journey. I had purchased it with several other Looxi shadows, and it stood out for being- though glittery- not as smooth or "wet" feeling as the other shadows. It did not swatch well, nor did it work well with Pixie Epoxy. But.....it is such a nice color for my skin tone. It is a pinky peach duochrome with flecks of gold and maybe even a bit of green. It's not too warm nor too cool. It's perfectly complimentary in the way ABH Amber eyeshadow was for my skin tone.

And I've found better ways to use it- over a sticky base, and brushed over with a looser, fluffy/flat shadow brush. The glitter particles catch on the base, and build up nicely. Once I understood that it had to be applied slightly differently than the other shadows, it quickly became one of my favorite shadows of all time.

Makeup Geek Blush, Puppy Love. I bought this blush when I first was getting into makeup, and MUG was a huge deal, as was its sales. I don't recall how much I paid for Puppy Love, but I was drawn to its brown/rose tone. Unfortunately, when I saw how pigmented it was in person, I was immediately intimidated- I didn't know how to use it. It is one of those blushes that are so pigmented they could be easily used as an eyeshadow. But, thanks to the internet, I found that mixing Puppy Love with a less pigmented blush easily diffuses it and makes it easier to work with- which I have been doing.

I also have learned to use a larger, fluffier brush with it, and not to be so intimidated by putting rouge on my cheeks. Puppy Love ended up being a blush I use almost daily, and I have a slight dip in the pan.

Wet 'n Wild Dulce de Leche Contouring Palette, $5.00. 

I bought this because of Rich Lux, as well as other sources on the internet. I've had it maybe for a year and a half, but only started using it daily since the summer. Why I didn't think I'd like it? Because the brown seemed too warm and the cream too dark to use it as a highlighting powder. Basically, I bought it for no reason, and thought maybe I could just used up the cream tone as a way to set my eyeshadow primer, as I could not use it the way it was suggested (diagram and all).

But I've been using cream contour powders lately and have found that if I mix the cream and brown together, I get just enough warmth and just enough powder to set the cream product. With that in mind, the powder has been useful, and I hope to pan it eventually.

So that's all I have for tonight! Do you have any of these? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig