Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Troublesome Brands

As a consumer, the following brands have concerned me regarding their product quality, but also human quality (?). Though sometimes I fear I am makeup obsessed, I find I am pretty strong when it comes to brands I am utterly repelled by. Of course I could include the usual disclaimer about opinions are subjective, but I also think it is irresponsible to ignore behavior that is simply bad. The list is as follows:

  1. Jeffree Star. Racism and sexism are unacceptable. I have no desire to help fund him.
  2. Lime Crime. I don't care if DD ever issued an apology. The ignorance to dress up as a Nazi is astounding. I don't think, also, consumers have any reason to trust the company. 
  3. Morphe. Less for moral reasons, I simply have no idea what the quality of these shadows are. No clue. Reviewers I trust seem to like them, as well as bloggers that I do not. Mattes are suspect, and I don't think their ingredients are revolutionary.  Part of me wants to be contrarian and push back against endless hype, I'll admit that. Don't like their marketing tactics.
  4. Too Faced. Once again, a brand that consumers have no reason to trust. Also, I literally thought "Clover" was a Sanrio like character that Too Faced was collaborating with. It's actually Jarrod's dog. I guess in my own mind I made the product seem more interesting than it was.
  5. Kylie Kardashian Kosmetics. Yes, choice of letters was intentional. This family is so very exploitative. I am not giving them my money.
I also have a list of brands that annoy me at times, and I wish they could do better:
  1. Urban Decay. Hate the fake "edge," and drug references. Love primer potion and my Pulp Fiction palette. Would NOT buy a Naked palette, though. 
  2. Kat Von D. My Z-palette has a bunch of depotted singles of her eyeshadow that I bought discounted at TJ Maxx. Those are great. However, I think she's shady because of her engagement to a neo-nazi. I also think her "rant" of Makeup Revolution's dupe of Shade and Light was silly. Makeup is amazingly marked-up. She is not losing customers. I myself am never going to buy the Shade and Light palette, nor the Makeup Revolution one, but even if I don't have a horse in this race whether it's higher or lower end, companies reuse concepts all the time. I think MR was an easy target, certainly. The Sinners and Saints palette also looks disappointing.
  3. Hourglass. Eyeshadow palettes were laughable, and shiny powders are too expensive. Just seems boring. 

So, those were a couple of my very informal thoughts. Hope it was informative!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig