Saturday, April 22, 2017

Review: Sleek "Goodnight Sweetheart Palette"

This palette took forever to get to me from the UK. I did email customer service, who did confirm that it was shipped. They also gave me an approximate arrival date. It took about three weeks, and cost $15, with shipping.

As I was waiting for its arrival, I eagerly and voraciously read as many reviews about the palette that I could. They seemed promising. ReallyRee, for instance, had swatches and a glowing review.

After attempting to use this palette for two months, I have come to the conclusion that such reviews were simply inflated. This palette  LOOKS beautiful, but does not perform well. Simple as that. Let's look at a picture, courtesy of The Sleek website:
Beautiful, right? And this was to be my first Sleek purchase. I had read really positive reviews about the Storm and Sunset palette, but THIS one was more my style.

Okay. The ONLY shade that had a more workable formula was the third one down on the left-hand column. The lightest shade. The gold-pink duochrome. For me, this seems like an excellent dupe of Too Faced Satin Sheets. I use this one often as an inner corner or all over the lid shade.

The other shimmers are stiff and lack transferability or pigmentation for the eye.  I want to emphasize this. The swatches, both brush and finger, without primer, are not that bad. Some are quite good. But on the eye itself the trouble begins. The shimmer or color shifts on most of these shadows are extremely hard to build up. The brown shimmer in particular is chunky sparkles. The mattes are simply nondescript. Note the swatches, with brush on top and finger on bottom.



This palette has turned me off from Sleek. I still keep it around to look at from time to time, and to use the Satin Sheets dupe. I wish I could de-pot it, but the pans are too thin that they would break or crack if I tried to pry any of them out. I've tried.

This palette, and the reviews of such palettes, has also made me trust certain reviewers less. Of the FEW reviews available, some did attest to wetting their brushes, or using a spray. Their swatches also look heavily built up. I know that Sleek is drugstore, but so is Wet N Wild. If this palette, with the same colors as in the picture, had the formula of Comfort Zone, we'd be in business. But that is not the case.

With that in mind, given the palette is pretty to look at, but waaaaay too much work to use, and given I only really like one shade, this palette has earned a final score of ★ 1/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig