Saturday, April 22, 2017

Decluttering Files, pt 2: KatVonD

One of my favorite places in the world is TJ Maxx. Once in a while I will stumble upon a higher-end product I wouldn't normally find, which works out really well. One thing as of late I've had to work on is to resist buying things at TJ Maxx is simply buying things because they're high end and reduced price. It is a strong lure, but I've gotten better at saying "no."

For instance, the other day I found of one the Too Faced tins, the Cat one, for $16. I got excited holding it in my hand, but I considered the colors. Would I want a smoky cool toned eye? Not really. I put it down and didn't look back.

Another time I saw a Makeup Forever artist palette for $16. This one still stings a bit, but after trying a sample shadow of MUFE, I found I didn't really like the formula. It reminded me a little bit of the Sleek formula, "gummy," a word that Kimberly Clark used that I think adequately describes it. So I don't completely regret that.

Before I developed this new sense of strength and resistance, I had made two purchases from TJ Maxx, simply because they were high end palettes on sale: Kat Von D's Chrysalis and Innerstellar palette. Long story short, I would rate Innerstellar ★★★★ /5 and Chrysalis ★★★/5. I ended up depotting both and decluttering the rest.

Let me start by saying, the process I used to depot shades from these palettes was LABORIOUS. These palettes are made of a very sturdy cardboard super glued together. The pans are magnetic, but are also tightly glued down. I didn't use any heat, but with an exactly knife cut around the cardboard and then lifted the pot out by sliding a blade under each one, cutting the glue as much as a I could. Needless to say, the larger pans were even more difficult, and about half of the shades I salvaged were dinged up a bit. Still usable, but I did need to repress some. Luckily her formula is very silky that repressing was not too hard.

Why did I depot and declutter? Innerstellar was too cool toned. I was tired of nondescript taupe shimmers, and that palette had a GIANT pan of that color, as well as a regular sized pan. From this palette I salvaged a cool toned brown and the smaller taupe shimmer.

Chrysalis also contained colors I do not use. I salvaged the large pan of cream color matte, which is a beautiful perfect brow bone/base shade, as well as the shade Glasswing, a caramel color matte. I do have this color in my Urban Decay palette, but her formula is so so pleasing that I am keeping it.

So in my Z-Palette I do have a square of Kat Von D shades that I use nearly every day, rather than 2 rather heavy palettes. Both were half off at the time, so it was the equivalence of a buy one get one free deal.

I remember wishing I could have tried Monarch, but that was not for sale. Since I have been watching innumerable palette collection and decluttering videos, I've found that so many attest to the fact that they don't use it, which makes me think the palette has similar color issues as its two "sister" palettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig