Wednesday, July 3, 2019

An Eyeshadow 5 Month Retrospective

Exactly five months ago to the day, I posted to my new makeup-focused account for the first time. Prior to that, I had been building up my makeup collection and "skills" for about three years, or however long this blog has been active. 

I thought it would be neat to compare a look from then with a look five months later, just to chart my growth, habits, and where I think I still am going. 

So, let's get into it!


On my Instagram, I listed the following products: New Wave (in the crease) from the Subculture palette, Toasty from Clionadh Cosmetics (outer corner), and Boujee from Looxi Beauty (lid). 

I am pretty sure I used the Colossal Express mascara from Maybelline (yellow bottle), and am certain I used MAC eyelienr gel in Blacktrack. I might have just purchased it. 

What I like about this look: I know I wore this look to work, and I think I did a good job of pairing colors together. Because Toasty is a very warm brown, it worked as a natural deepening shade to New Wave, one of the better performing pigments from the Subculture palette. Furthermore, Boujee from Looxi is a gold metallic with a blue/green reflect, so it was an overall nice complement. 

What I don't like about this look: The struggle wing- hands down. While it looks like I did also try to put color on the lower lash line, I feel like I could have put some brown there as well to make it a bit more intense. Prior to this, I hardly used color on the lower lashline- I was afraid it would make my eyes look smaller. 

More brown overall could have been used more to deepen the outer corner. 

I also noticed some transfer of the shimmer onto my crease/brow area, which could have been avoided with glitter glue and a more sparing use of the lid shade. 

Finally, I know there must have been a fourth shade that I did not list because it did not show up in this picture that I am fairly confident I used to help blend New Wave up towards the brow bone. It would have been Angel Face from Coloured Raine. Unfortunately, it just didn't show up well enough, so I didn't list it. If I had used a more pigmented eyeshadow base this could have been avoided. 

Overall, I would wear this look again, definitely, but with some major improvements. 

And now let's move on to today's look:


Products used: Clionadh's Maize (cool-toned bright yellow, brow bone), ABH Eccentric (caramel brown in the crease, from the Norvina Palette), Colourpop Hooky (a mustard yellow in the crease and lid, from the Good Sport palette), Menagerie Cosmetics Mother Dragon (dark matte red on lash line) and Night Eyes (bright yellow under the red) , and Tammy Tanuka Crystals of Heliodor (shimmer on lid). 

Mascara was the Innisfree Skinny Mascara paired with the Maybelline Snapscara. Waterline was Nyx Milk, eyeliner was again MAC Blacktrack. Eyeshadow base was Essence I Love Color Base, paired with Wet 'n Wild primer. 

Where to begin? 

What I like about the look: This look is part of a monthly makeup challenge, the #SummerTreatsMakeup. The look in question was inspired by Pineapple Cake. So right off the bat, the fact that this look is part of my contribution to an online community is something I really enjoy and am excited about. 

In terms of the technical, I like the balance of colors, and I love how I managed to make a nice wing. It took me forever to get the hang of doing wings- of even attempting that. 

Yellow, to my delight, is becoming more and more appreciated, and I do enjoy how glow-y this looks. Also, I went in with with a lot more color in the lower lashline, so there's definitely improvement there. 

There's not really too much to say here. I'd wear it again!

What I don't like: I know the other eye did not have a wing at the same exact angle as this one. That's something I definitely have to work on. This was also the first time I tried to put a color in the waterline- big mistake. While I was very careful and didn't cause a reaction, I knew that either this is something I need to practice more or just give up on entirely. 

I also think the outer edge with the brown and yellow could have more of an upturned shape towards my brow- it's just a bit amorphous as it is. 

Would I wear it again? Yes, definitely. 

Final take-aways:

There are definite improvements, right? And my collection didn't change drastically between then and now- aside from the Tammy Tanuka pigment, all products I used (except for the Mascara ), I've had in my collection already. It's just that my awareness of my face has sharpened, allowing me to more deliberate and creative. Though this was a slow process, it was at my own pace and really the natural outgrowth of being inspired and practice. If it wasn't for seeing what people are doing, how they are doing it, and trying it for myself, then I would have never gotten to the point that I am now. 

I can't wait to see what the next five months will bring!

Thanks for reading. 

1 comment:

© *:・゚Cosmetically Inclined ・゚:*  
Blogger Templates made by pipdig